If you arrived at this post while researching homeschooling, I’m glad I caught you in time. I need to warn you about some things before you make this life-altering decision for your family!
- Once you begin to see learning everywhere you just can’t unsee it.
- Once you’ve learned to think outside the box, it’s really hard to get back in.
- Being with your children all of the time is really tough…to let go of when they fly the nest.
- Your children may not learn to stand in line or raise their hand to speak until they’re in their teens.
- When they start college classes they may do annoying things like attend class, answer questions (if they’ve learned to raise their hand), visit the teacher’s office (gasp!), work ahead on their own, and turn their homework in on time.
- A day may come when you are no longer needed as a teacher and you will be demoted to taxi driver and counselor.
- You may have to duck under doorways while wearing all of your different hats (teacher, cafeteria worker, custodian, chauffeur, nurse, etc.)
- When your final student graduates you may have feelings of withdrawal from field trips and park days.
- Homeschooling is a very independent venture. No two homeschooling families are alike. In fact, no two homeschool students are alike, either. From year-to-year and semester-to-semester you will constantly be tweaking to tailor your homeschool to the changing needs of your students. At times you may feel alone, overwhelmed, and like no one understands.
If, after reading this, you are still thinking about taking the plunge, then go for it. Your life will never be the same, and I mean that in the best possible way. There’s nothing I can say to prepare you for the unique challenges of a Homeschool Mom, but I can’t begin to describe the joy it brings, either.
If you are an experienced Homeschool Mom, what would you add to this list of warnings?
Subscribe now to be notified of new posts by Mid-Life Blogger.
9 Easy Steps to Homeschooling – A step-by-step guide to help new homeschoolers get started quickly and stress-free.